Thoughts? (Up For Discussion) Farming Contest

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LuSxcks, Feb 28, 2023.

1. LuSxcks

LuSxcks Staff Member
    Moderator Community Teams Rules Committee

I’ve seen people talk about adding a farming contest and I love that idea.

As cool as all the fishing options pf has added, I and many others are not fishers, but rather farmers. As such, I’d love to see some sort of recurrent event for farming. Either completely copying the fishing events (monthly leaderboard, and fishing contests) or just a farming contest where a random crop gets chosen and the top 3 after 10-15 minutes get some sort of reward (points, money, or something else).

I think it would be cool for there to be a chance of either a fishing or farming contest happening or, a rotation of the contests.

2. Saber

Saber Member
    Developer Community Teams Rules Committee

I like this idea. The fishing contest is probably too popular to lower the frequency of it, so maybe farming contests could be in the gap between fishing contests.

I think it could be most of a random crop farmed in the given period with the crop changing at random intervals to make player move around and work for it.

Or maybe farmed crops could get a grade and size similar to fishing and the player who farmed the crop with the highest grade/size wins. That way anyone can win.

3. AshesRevamp

AshesRevamp Staff Member
    Moderator Community Teams

Maybe we could have both at the same time so it would split the interests. I think amounts of crops would be better than a weight/length system or smth because farming has never been really luck oriented and I think it's good to keep it that way. Else we'd have storages full of 27 item per chest cos different lengths woulddn't stack :p

LuSxcks likes this.
  4. Waffle

Waffle Member

i like how only billionaire farmers liked the idea xD then you have me=)

LuSxcks likes this.
  5. BUTTERFIELD8

BUTTERFIELD8 Administrator
    Administrator Developer Community Teams Rules Committee

Kinda planned but kinda not. Keep the discussion going!

Waffle, AshesRevamp and LuSxcks like this.
  6. Waffle

Waffle Member

going off this, having farm and fishing contests at the same time is a great idea, but some people love farming but also love participating in the fishing contest, so maybe there could be a thing where after a fishing comp, a farming comp could start?

7. Waffle

Waffle Member

another idea i had real quick is color coding the boss bars for fishing and farming, could be green for fishing and orange for farming (basing off of Peaceful and Farms) or maybe a Ocean Blue for fishing and a Green for farming? doesn’t prove any real benefits, just neat looking

8. AshesRevamp

AshesRevamp Staff Member

Isn't green already used for some booster?

9. AshesRevamp

AshesRevamp Staff Member

So there would be 30 minutes of small event and then 1 empty hour? I guess it could work. Maybe we could make it happen 45 minutes after so we have some event every 45 minutes.

Waffle likes this.
  10. GodOfSandwiches

Community Teams

while this is a good idea the color choice for boss bars is limited by the games texture packs and only has pink, light blue, bright orange, lime green, yellow, purple, and white. While the colors don't really matter to the addition i just wanted this to be known. I would also like to see this idea added even though i don't farm. A random crop choice could promote the production and usage of other farm types and not just cane, carrot, and wart. This could discourage people from spending all their time making a single 100 chunk long carrot farm and instead make smaller farms of each type.

11. GodOfSandwiches

Community Teams

for anyone that wants proof on the color thing here. this is from the default texture pack and the ability to change the colors would only be possible with a server resource pack. upload_2023-3-5_16-16-17.png

12. AshesRevamp

AshesRevamp Staff Member

*screams in Bacon*

13. Krynne

Krynne New Member

I love the fishing contest (even if I'm not participating in it all the time lol). The idea of having a farming related contest sounds interesting... but I'd rather have them not be both running at once as I'd like to participate in each of them. Maybe set it so folks have enough time between each to allow prepping for the next (such as clearing out your fishing goodies and bringing in the farming ones).

Perhaps instead of using in game crops, perhaps the farm contest crops could be custom heads (like how the fish are) done in various crop designs such as rice, corn, peas, peppers, strawberries, cabbages, etc. This way a special shop can be set up (like the one for fishing) and it won't interfere with the "main" crops. And for for certain big holidays crops could be made special (again, similar to the special holiday fish), such as pumpkins for Halloween, carrots for Easter, cocoa beans for Valentines Day, watermelons for summer holidays, etc.

Just a thought :)

Waffle likes this.
  14. Waffle

Waffle Member

going off the second part about the heads, it could be a ‘mystery head’ and when you break it it will give you a random crop ‘head’ similar to how fishing gives you a random ‘fish head’. the crop heads could be pretty much the same as above, but maybe add a few more and have different rarities possibly.

just a thought while my face is being burnt off:)

15. Rimon_2004

Rimon_2004 Staff Member

Saber make it now