Open Ignore Global

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JohnJohnCinnabon, Mar 17, 2021.

1. JohnJohnCinnabon

I think a way to tune out global would be nice, I've had many instances of people telling me that global chat was overwhelming them/stressing them out/etc, and I think it'd be a cool idea to have some command, or maybe a /setting that makes the person not see messages from non-staff players in global. This command would leave private chats (Local, Party, Marry, etc), only blocking global messages. This is technically a setting in vanilla Minecraft (esc > options > chat settings > chat:hidden), but it blocks private chats, staff messages, and doesn't allow the user to do commands (the command only mode still shows all messages, just doesn't allow the user to talk in chat.) you could also sort-of do this by manually ignoring each player that's online at the time, but that's tedious, and if you already had select users ignored, could potentially be tough to discern who to unignore and who to keep ignored once you decide to read through global again, possibly unignoring someone you don't get along with, or keeping someone who didn't do anything ignored. All in all I think the addition of this command would be a good thing, it's convenient for people who possibly get overwhelmed by chat, and would be a solution that still allows staff to message or warn players who "turn off" chat.

This isn't something that I, personally would use (I'm staff, I need to watch the chat), but I know a good many people who would appreciate this being a feature.

TL;DR - A command to not show global messages, yet still show staff messages and private chats.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! Do you see any flaws in this proposed system? Do you think you would use it, or never touch it? Or maybe you have some alternative system that could work even better.

2. grayson_

grayson_ Member

I like this, it keeps people that are typically quieter and don't like global chat in mind.

Artemis, NitroChains and 08ts like this.
  3. NitroChains

NitroChains New Member

I really like this idea! global gets really overwhelming sometimes and the option to turn it off sounds like it would be really good, and especially good to those of us with sensory issues, as chat can sometimes look like it's flying past at high enough speed to disorient someone, as well as some of the colours.

Artemis and 08ts like this.
  4. 08ts

08ts New Member

This is really exactly what I need! I hate that Minecraft's "chat:hidden" doesn't truly work. I would love to have this implemented. Sometimes I want to focus on building or farming, but the chat is so distracting.

I have even changed the size of the chat, it's so small but I've gotten used to it, and it's still distracting.

#4 08ts, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Artemis and NitroChains like this.
  5. Darth_Felineous

I would probably use this when building to be honest. Global is rather distracting. If people need to contact me while I am building whispers are better. So this is a great idea. Lets get this done!

6. Deevez

Deevez Member

I definitely enjoy this idea. Especially for instances where private messaging someone and global makes it too difficult to see their message. Or maybe there's a raid of trolls on and you wanna mute it all but still want to see your party chat or private messages? There's a million different ways this would help.

Artemis likes this.