Not Planned Hoppers = Lag?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by iExpo, Sep 30, 2018.

1. iExpo

iExpo New Member

So on peaceful farms, I feel the redstone community (yes there is one) is quite neglected. I myself, am part of said community. Because of how 4 items are sent every 4 ticks with hoppers instead of 1 every 1 ticks, almost all complex redstone machines involving hoppers are broken. This is due to them stacking up and practically randomising when they are transported making it extremely difficult to have a working design for any device using hoppers (e.g. item sorter).

I understand that hoppers can cause lag and a lot of people use them, however, so many people use redstone components in their farms. Do you think that some hoppers cause more lag than lots of redstone torches rapidly updating and changing? Redstone torches change the light level each time they are turned off/on, now imagine this in a big sorting system, with the game calculating the light level for each individual block in proximity, for multiple stacks of redstone torches. I for one, light up my machinery so that this does not happen but not everyone may be as aware. So my question is why are hoppers changed this way; there's no way to design redstone machinery to fit the criteria of the hoppers on the server considering you're in survival with limited resources and you can't fly.

In my opinion, instead of neglecting the redstone community and disregarding the hobby as a whole, we revert hoppers back to their vanilla state but instead put rules on the quantity you can have in a chunk. That way the redstone community can still practice what they desire and the server be kept not laggy. In addition to this, I believe if there is an abundance of redstone torches being used, the surrounding area should be properly lit in order to prevent constant lighting updates.

Thanks for reading and please take into consideration about what I've said. <3

-iExpo

m0t_src likes this.
  2. m0t_src

m0t_src New Member

Thank you on the information of light updates affecting lag. Makes sense, and have heard it before in regards to flying machines - but never sunk in. Good info to store in that my little brain of mine. Ty!